The TeraGyroid Project
TeraGyroid: Grid-based lattice-Boltzmann simulations
of defect dynamics in amphiphilic liquid crystals
The TeraGyroid project coupled cutting-edge grid
technologies, high-performance computing, visualisation and
capabiltities to produce a major leap forward in soft condensed
This ambitious project was the result of an
linking the USA's
and the UK's eScience Grid
jointly funded by the
Trans-Atlantic optical bandwidth was
supported by British Telecommunications.
The project featured the world's largest Lattice Boltzmann
The TeraGyroid project was showcased on the exhibition floor of
and in the SC
"TRICEPS" (Transcontinental RealityGrids for Interactive
Collaborative Exploration of Parameter Space), one aspect of the TeraGyroid project,
won the award
for "Most Innovative Data-Intensive Application" in the
HPC Challenge competition at SC'03
The recorded video stream of the TeraGyroid presentation can be viewed
(Windows Media Player ASF stream).
The information flyer distributed at SC03 can be found
TeraGyroid also received a 2004
(International Supercomputer Conference)
the major supercomputing award in Europe, for Integrated Data and Information Management.
- R. J. Blake, P. V. Coveney, P. Clarke, S. M. Pickles,
"The TeraGyroid Experiment-Supercomputing 2003",
13, Number 1, 1-17, (2005),
- M. Mc Keown, S M Pickles, A R Porter, R L Pinning, M
and R Haines, "The Service Architecture of the TeraGyroid
Phil Trans R Soc, 363, 1743-1755, (2005).
- J. Chin, P.V. Coveney and J. Harting, "The TeraGyroid project -
collaborative steering and visualization in an HPC grid for
complex fluids", in Proceedings of the UK e-Science All Hands
Meeting 2004, available
- P. V. Coveney and M. J. Harvey, "Europe: AG aids RealityGrid and the TeraGyroid Project",
AG Focus, Vol 2, Issue 1, page 4, Spring 2004;
available online (5.7MB).
- S. M. Pickles, R. J. Blake, B. M. Boghosian, J. M. Brooke, J. Chin, P. E. L. Clarke, P. V. Coveney, N. González-Segredo,
R. Haines, J. Harting, M. Harvey, M. A. S. Jones, M. McKeown, R. L. Pinning, A. R. Porter, K. Roy, M. Riding,
"The TeraGyroid Experiment." Proceedings of Global Grid Forum, GGF10
(2004). Available here
- S. M. Pickles et al, "The TeraGyroid Experiment", Workshop on Case Studies on Grid Applications,
March 13, 2004, Berlin, Germany.
- J. Chin, J. Harting, S. Jha, P. V. Coveney, A. R. Porter, and S. M. Pickles,
"Steering in computational science: mesoscale modelling and simulation,"
Contemporary Physics, 44, 417-434 (2003);